Monday, December 17, 2018 - 7:30 PM

Candle Fire Safety

Candles may be pretty to look at, however they are a cause of home fires – and home fire deaths. Remember, a candle is an open flame, which means that it can easily ignite anything that can burn.

The St. John's Regional Fire Department (SJRFD) would like to remind all citizens that the most important step you can take to keep yourself and your loved ones safe is to ensure that your home has working smoke alarms. To help you enjoy your candles safely, the Department would like to offer the following safety tips.

Before Lighting:

  • Trim the wick to ¼ inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks can cause uneven burning, dripping or flaring.
  • Use candle holders that are non-combustible, sturdy and won’t tip over easily. It should be large enough to contain any drips or melted wax.
  • Place candle holder on a stable, heat-resistance surface. This will also help prevent possible heat damage to counters and table surfaces and prevent glass containers from cracking or breaking.
  • Avoid drafts, vents or air currents. This will help prevent rapid or uneven burning, and excessive dripping.

While Burning:

  • Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
  • Never use water to extinguish a candle. Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.
  • Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
  • Don’t touch or move the candle until it has completely cooled.
  • Never use a knife or sharp object to remove wax drippings from a glass holder. It might scratch, weaken, or cause the glass to break upon subsequent use.

Make sure that everyone in your home knows what to do if a fire should occur- practice your escape route.

For more information contact:
Captain Mike Maher
Fire Prevention Officer
St. John’s Regional Fire Department
(709) 576-3905